Beef and Asparagus with Caramelized Onion Aioli
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Marinate: 1 hr to 12 hrs
- Grill: 12 mins
- 1 pound beef flank steak
- 1 recipe Tare Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Snipped fresh parsley
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Trim fat from meat. Thinly slice meat across the grain into long strips. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Add 1/2 cup of the Tare Sauce. Seal bag; turn to coat meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 12 hours, turning bag occasionally. Cover and chill the remaining Tare Sauce until needed.
- Meanwhile, for aioli, in a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is golden, stirring frequently. Transfer to a small bowl; cool. Stir in mayonnaise, lime juice, 1 tablespoon parsley, cheese, and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Drain meat, discarding marinade. On eight 10- to 12-inch skewers** thread meat accordion-style, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces.
- Place asparagus in a shallow dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the remaining Tare sauce and the vegetable oil; toss to coat.*
- On a charcoal hibachi, place asparagus on the rack of the uncovered grill perpendicular to wires of rack directly over medium coals. Grill about 7 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Remove from grill; cover to keep warm. Place meat skewers on grill rack. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes or until meat is slightly pink in center, turning and brushing once with the remaining Tare Sauce halfway through grilling.
- Sprinkle meat, asparagus, and aioli with additional parsley and sesame seeds. Serve meat and asparagus with aioli.
From the Test Kitchen
If you have thick asparagus, cut each spear into thirds and thread the pieces horizontally onto sets of two parallel skewers.
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.
If you like, you may omit the Tare Sauce. If you do, omit the marinating step as well and season the food with salt and ground black pepper.
- In a small saucepan combine broth, wine, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup; cool. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts (Beef and Asparagus with Caramelized Onion Aioli)
- Per serving:
- 461 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 800 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 29 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiches...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...