- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs
- Bake: 50 mins 325°F
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 strips bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and chopped
- 1 9 ounce package frozen cut asparagus, thawed and well-drained
- 3/4 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
- 12 slices dry white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese (12 ounces)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard or 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl combine bacon, asparagus, and red peppers.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the bacon mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes, bacon mixture, and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater or whisk. Beat or whisk in milk, mustard, salt, and cayenne pepper. Carefully pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture in dish. Using the back of a spoon, gently press down on layers to moisten all of the bread. Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes or until puffed, golden, and set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Pork, Pepper & Mushroom Strata:
Prepare as directed, except replace bacon with 1 pound uncooked bulk pork or Italian sausage and replace asparagus with 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms. Cook sausage and mushrooms in a large skillet until sausage is brown; drain off fat. Stir red peppers into mixture in skillet. Use 3 cups shredded American or cheddar cheese in place of the Swiss cheese.
To make ahead, prepare as directed. Cover dish with plastic wrap and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes.. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Bacon-Asparagus Strata)
- Per serving:
- 365 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 197 mg chol. ,
- 965 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 21 g pro.
Delicious Asparagus Recipes
Whether grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus adds flavor and nutrients to any meal. Here are our favorite asparagu...
In-Season Spring Dinners
Along with pastel flowers and warmer weather, spring brings a bounty of fresh produce to your kitchen table. From a...
Farmers Market Recipes
All around the country, farmers bring their abundance to town, allowing us to feast through all four seasons (if yo...
Healthy Vegetable Recipes
Need more vegetables in your diet? These delicious and creative vegetable recipes will help you get the recommended...
How to Roast Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are as easy to make as they are delicious to eat. Oven-roasting vegetables brings out their natu...
7-Ingredient (or Less) Dinners You'll Wish You Discovered Before Today
Seven ingredients (not counting salt, pepper, or oil) are all you need for a wholesome dinner that comes together i...
Healthy Dinner Recipes for Spring
Shake off the winter chill with healthy spring recipes, including silky carrot soup and avocado-slathered sandwiche...
Fresh Spring Slow Cooker Recipes
Get out and enjoy spring weather while dinner cooks itself! How? Use our slow cooker recipes. We've compiled some o...