Gluten Free Short Ribs over Gorgonzola Polenta
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Slow Cook: 9 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4-1/2 to 5 hours (high)
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Gorgonzola Polenta
- Trim fat from short ribs; set aside. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker combine onions, fennel, and carrots. Add short ribs to cooker. Stir in tomatoes, wine, tapioca, tomato paste, garlic, the 1 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, for the gorgonzola polenta, bring 21/2 cups of the water to boiling. In a medium bowl stir together yellow cornmeal, 1 cup cold water, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is very thick and tender, stirring frequently and adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a slow boil.
- To serve, spoon polenta into shallow bowls. Spoon short ribs and vegetable mixture over polenta.
- In a medium saucepan bring the 2-1/2 cups water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together cornmeal, the 1 cup cold water, and salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is very thick and tender, stirring frequently and adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a slow boil. Stir in cheese.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Short Ribs over Gorgonzola Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 489 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 1121 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...