Gluten Free Pork and Green Chile Stew
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- 2 pounds boneless pork sirloin roast or shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (4 medium)
- 3 cups water
- 1 15.25- or 15.5-ounce can hominy or whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. In a large skillet cook half of the meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat and the onion. Drain off fat.
- Transfer all of the meat and the onion to a 3-1/2- to 4-1/2-quart slow cooker. Stir in potatoes, the water, hominy, green chile peppers, tapioca, garlic salt, cumin, ground ancho pepper, black pepper, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Pork and Green Chile Stew)
- Per serving:
- 347 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 89 mg chol. ,
- 592 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...