Gluten Free Asparagus-Tuna Casserole
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 25 mins 375°F
- 1 cup dried gluten-free penne pasta
- 1 pound tiny new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green, white, and/or purple asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 4 1/2 ounce cans tuna packed in roasted garlic olive oil, undrained*
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soft bread crumbs
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large saucepan cook pasta according to package directions, adding potatoes for the last 4 minutes of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook about 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk; add lemon peel. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Gradually add provolone, stirring until melted. Gently fold in cooked pasta mixture, asparagus, tuna, and olives. Transfer mixture to a 3-quart baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl heat the remaining butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle on top of tuna mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tuna mixture is heated through and topping is golden.
From the Test Kitchen
If tuna packed in garlic olive oil is not available, substitute tuna packed in oil and add 2 cloves of garlic, minced, when cooking the onion.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Asparagus-Tuna Casserole )
- Per serving:
- 518 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 65 mg chol. ,
- 728 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...