Gluten Free Creole-Style Shrimp and Grits
- Makes: 4 servings
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp in shells
- 1 cup gluten-free yellow grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare grits according to package directions. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir flour, Creole seasoning, salt, and black pepper into vegetable mixture. Gradually stir in broth. Cook and stir over medium heat just until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Stir in shrimp. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, stirring once. Serve shrimp mixture over grits.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Creole-Style Shrimp and Grits)
- Per serving:
- 308 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 143 mg chol. ,
- 899 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...