Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 400°F
- Stand: 10 mins
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 1/3 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix (recipe below)
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can gluten-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 16 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large saucepan heat the 1/2 cup butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in 1/3 cup of the Gluten-Free Flour Mix; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and 1 1/2 cups of the milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken, frozen vegetables, frozen onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Keep warm.
- For biscuits, in a large bowl stir together the remaining 3 cups flour mix, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, the sugar, baking powder, and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 3/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened. Turn out onto a work surface and pat into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Cut into 12 squares.
- Transfer hot chicken mixture to a 3-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of chicken mixture. Brush tops of biscuits with the 1 tablespoon milk; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place baking dish on middle oven rack. Place a large baking sheet on bottom rack to catch any drips. Bake about 40 minutes or until edges of chicken mixture are bubbly and biscuits are lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Gluten Free Flour Mix
- In a large airtight container whisk together rice flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 months.
From the Test Kitchen
Double or even triple this recipe to have our gluten-free flour mix on hand for future baking and cooking recipes.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 703 kcal ,
- 36 g fat
- (21 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 132 mg chol. ,
- 1163 mg sodium ,
- 71 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...