Gluten Free Lemon-Strawberry Cornmeal Scones
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 12 mins 400°F
- 1 2/3 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine egg and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Gently stir in strawberries (mixture will not completely come together in a ball).
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface (use brown rice flour). Using floured hands, knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth (dough will be wet and sticky). Divide dough in half. Transfer dough portions to the prepared baking sheet. Pat or lightly roll each portion into a 5-inch circle. Cut each circle into six wedges; separate wedges so they are about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool slightly. If desired, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Lemon-Strawberry Cornmeal Scones)
- Per serving:
- 173 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 232 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...