Gluten Free Glazed Chocolate Cake
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
- 2 egg whites*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- Brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 recipe Coconut-Pecan Glaze or Sour Cream Glaze
- In a medium mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine milk, cocoa powder, and butter. Heat over medium heat just until boiling, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Add baking chocolate, whisking until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x1 1/2- or 9x1 1/2-inch round baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or waxed paper; grease paper. Flour pan using brown rice flour; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the 2/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cooled chocolate mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well mixed (batter will be thick). Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate-flour mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Remove and discard parchment paper. Cool completely. Top with Coconut-Pecan Glaze or Sour Cream Glaze.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, reserve 1 egg yolk for Coconut-Pecan Glaze.
Sour Cream Glaze
- In a small bowl stir together sour cream, powdered sugar, and 1vanilla until smooth.
- Lightly beat egg yolk; set aside. In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Add coconut water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Gradually whisk half of the coconut water mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolk. Stir egg yolk mixture into the remaining coconut water mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Glazed Chocolate Cake)
- Per serving:
- 237 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 153 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 26 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...