Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 55 mins 350°F
- Cool: 10 mins
- 5 unpeeled bananas
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Flour Mix (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom(s) and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch or two 7 1/2x3 1/2x2-inch loaf pan(s); set aside. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Arrange bananas in the foil-lined pan. Prick banana peels with the tines of a fork at 1 inch intervals. Bake for 15 minutes (the peels will turn dark brown). Cool bananas in pan.
- In a large bowl combine Gluten-Free Flour Mix, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, sugar, and oil; set aside. Split banana peels with a small sharp knife; remove and discard peels. Measure 1 1/2 cups roasted bananas by gently pressing the pulp into measuring cups; stir the roasted bananas into egg mixture. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in walnuts. Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan(s).
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes for the 9-inch pan, 45 to 55 minutes for the 7 1/2-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean.* If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Cool in pan(s) on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s). Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. (The quick bread's texture will be more evenly moist and less crumbly after standing.)
From the Test Kitchen
When you remove the toothpick, a few crumbs may be clinging to it, but there should not be any unbaked batter on the toothpick.
Gluten Free Flour Mix
- In a large airtight container whisk together rice flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 months.
From the Test Kitchen
Double or even triple this recipe to have our gluten-free flour mix on hand for future baking and cooking recipes.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Banana Bread )
- Per serving:
- 234 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 136 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
If you're looking to follow a gluten-free diet, whip up one of these delicious, gluten-free recipes under 500 calor...
Garlicky Zucchini Noodles (Without The Pasta!)
You won't believe how easy these noodles are! Perfect for a simple summer dinner, this quick meal comes together in...
How to Cook Quinoa
Looking for ways to integrate more whole grain goodness into your diet? Quinoa is one of the fastest-cooking choice...
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
A delicious healthy breakfast recipe—one that is tasty and loaded with nutrition—can be the difference between a gr...
- Week of Gluten-Free Recipes
20-Minute Peanut Sauced Veggies and Noodles
A tangy homemade peanut sauce tops a vegetarian pasta dish that you can make in minutes -- no grocery trip needed!
Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes
There's so much to love about the Mediterranean diet: fresh vegetables, tons of herbs, and high-protein recipes. Ch...
Healthy Eating Tips
With our fabulous healthy recipes, expert guidelines, and helpful tips, you can establish healthy eating habits for...