For the large stocking (finished length, 15 inches):
For the small stocking (finished length, 11-1/2 inches):
2. Work cross-stitching. Center and stitch the design on the desired fabric. Use 3 strands of floss to work the cross-stitches over 2 threads of the Vienna fabric or 1 square of Aida cloth. Work the backstitches as specified. Press the finished stitchery from the back.
3. Cut out front, back, and lining pieces. Fuse the fleece to the back of the stitched piece following the manufacturer's instructions. Use the erasable marker to draw the stocking outline as indicated by the dashed line on the chart. Cut out the stocking 1/2 inch beyond the marked line. Use the stocking as a pattern to cut a matching back and two lining pieces from the matching cotton fabric.
4. Cut fabric for piping and hanging. For the large stocking, cut a 1-7/8 x 44-inch piping strip and a 1-1/2 x 5-inch hanging strip from the red fabric. For the small stocking, cut a 1-1/2 x 36-inch piping strip and a 1-1/4 x 4-inch hanging strip from the green fabric.
5. Make and baste in piping. Center the cording lengthwise on the wrong side of the piping strip. Fold the fabric around the cording with raw edges together. Use a zipper foot to sew through both layers close to the cording. Baste the piping around the stocking sides and foot with the raw edges even.
6. Add loop for hanging. Press the long edges of the hanging strip under 1/4 inch, fold in half lengthwise, and topstitch. Fold the strip in half to form a loop. Tack the ends inside the top right side of the stocking.
7. Assemble stocking. With right sides together, using the zipper foot, sew the stocking front to the back with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, leaving the top edge open. Trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch. For curves, clip the piping seam allowance frequently until the piping lies flat. Turn the stocking right side out and press.
8. Make and add lining. Sew the lining pieces together, right sides together; do not turn. Slip the stocking inside the lining. Stitch the stocking and the lining together at the top edges with right sides together; turn right side out. Slip-stitch the opening closed. Tuck the lining into the stocking, and press carefully.