- 2/3 yard of rose-pattern fabric (or brown houndstooth wool)
- 2/3 yard of lining fabric
- 1/4 yard of brown herringbone wool (or burlap)
- 1/4 yard of brown houndstooth wool (or gold plaid rayon)
- 7x14-inch piece of brown herringbone wool (for burlap-cuff stocking only)
- Three brown buttons
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Trace patterns onto tracing paper; cut out. From rose-pattern fabric (or brown houndstooth wool), cut out a stocking front and back. Cut out two lining pieces.
- For a cuff on a left-facing stocking (as shown), pin cuff pattern on right side of fabric with curved cuff edge to the right. Cut out one cuff from brown herringbone wool (or burlap). For cuff binding, cut and piece a brown houndstooth wool (or gold plaid rayon) bias strip to measure 2-1/4x27 inches. For a hanging loop, cut a 1-3/4x7-inch bias strip from brown houndstooth wool (or brown herringbone wool).
- With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew stocking front to back, leaving top edge open. Clip curves, turn right side out, and press. Sew lining pieces in same manner, increasing seam allowance to 3/8 inch through the ankle and foot; do not turn right side out.
- With right sides together and using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, sew bias binding strip to curved edge of cuff. Fold binding over seam allowance to wrong side of cuff and press. Stitch in the ditch between cuff and binding. Trim excess binding.
- Fold the 1-3/4x7-inch bias strip in thirds lengthwise and press. Topstitch along long edges. Trim length to 6 inches. Fold in half to form hanging loop; sew short edges together.
- Slip lining into stocking body, matching side seams. Pin end of hanging loop inside the lining at the heel seam, matching raw edges. Stitch around top of stocking.
- Lay cuff right side down with curved edge away from you. Starting at the short straight edge, roll cuff into a manageable bundle. With right side of cuff facing the lining, place curved edge of cuff next to hanging loop, matching raw edges. Using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, stitch cuff to stocking, unrolling bundle as you sew. The cuff will overlap where you began sewing about 6 inches. Pull cuff up and fold down over stocking. Hand-sew buttons to cuff.