Make a Holiday Swirled Stocking
Designed for an experienced knitter, this stocking makes a beautiful Christmas mantel addition.
What You Need
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky (Art. 630) 80% acrylic, 20% wool; 5 oz. (140 g); 153 yds. (140 m); bulky weight
- 1 ball #112 Red (MC)
- 1 ball #099 Fisherman (CC)
Needles & Extras
- Size 10 1/2 (6.5 mm) double-pointed needles OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE
- One stitch marker
- Blunt-end yarn needle
- Pom-pom maker
- 12 sts and 16 rnds = 4 inches (10 cm) in St st (knit 1 row, purl 1 row).
- TAKE TIME TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
- Sl1-k = Slip next stitch as if to knit.
- Sl1-p = Slip next stitch as if to purl.
- Ssk (slip, slip, knit) = Slip next 2 stitches to right-hand needle singly and kwise; insert tip of left-hand needle under front loop of both stitches and knit them together.
- * = Repeat the instructions following the single asterisk as directed.
How to Make It
- Begin at top with MC, cast on 64 sts.
- Keeping sts untwisted, arrange onto 3 dpns; place marker for beg, join. K42, bind off 22 sts for hanging loop.
- Rearrange the 42 sts onto 3 needles and 3 rnds.
- Change to CC and k 11 rnds.
- Change to MC and k 43 rnds.
- Setup for Heel: Place first and last 11 sts onto one dpn, then place rem 20 sts onto a second dpn for holder.
- Working back and forth in St st on the 22 sts and using CC, beg with a purl row and work 11 rows total; end with a p row.
- Heel Turn Row 1: Sl1-k, k14, ssk, k; turn.
- Row 2: Sl1-p, p9, p2tog; turn.
- Row 3: Sl1-k, k9, ssk; turn.
- Rep last 2 rows until 11 sts rem, ending with a RS row.
- In following instructions, this needle will be called #1. Break yarn.
- With RS facing, using MC and needle #1, pick up and k 7 sts evenly spaced along side of heel.
- With needle #2, k20 (instep sts).
- With needle #3, pick up and k 7 sts evenly spaced along side of heel, k6 from needle #1 -- 13 sts.
- Rnd 1: Note: This is the first time the first 5 sts will be worked with MC, and there will be 12 sts on this needle before working the rnd. K9, ssk, k1 (#1); k20 (#2); k1, k2tog, k10 (#3) -- 43 sts.
- Rnd 2: K around.
- Rnd 3: K8, ssk, k1; k20; k1, k2tog, k9 -- 41 sts.
- Rnd 4: K around.
- Rnd 5: K7, ssk, k1; k20; k1, k2tog, k8 -- 39 sts.
- Work even on 39 sts until the piece measures 5 inches from pick-up rnd.
- Rnd 1: With MC, k6, ssk, k1 (#1); k1, k2tog, k14, ssk, k1 (#2); k1, k2tog, k7 (#3) -- 35 sts.
- Rnd 2: Knit.
- Rnd 3: With MC, k5, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k12, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k6-31 sts. Change to CC for remainder of stocking.
- Rnd 4: Knit.
- Rnd 5: With CC, k4, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k10, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k5 -- 27 sts.
- Rnd 6: K3, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k8, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k4 -- 23 sts.
- Rnd 7: K2, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k6, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k3 -- 19 sts.
- Rnd 8: K1, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k4, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k2 -- 15 sts.
- Rnd 9: Ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k2, ssk, k1; k1, k2tog, k1 -- 11 sts.
- To complete, k2 on #1; k1, k2tog, ssk, k1 on #2; k3 on #3, then with same needle, k2tog from #1-8 sts with 4 on each of two needles. Leaving a 10-inch tail, cut the yarn.
- Hold wrong sides together with the needles pointed to the right. Thread the yarn tail into a yarn needle. *Insert the yarn needle knitwise through the first stitch on the front needle and let the stitch drop from the needle.
- Insert the yarn needle into the second stitch on the front needle purlwise and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle.
- Insert the yarn needle into the first stitch on the back needle purlwise and let it drop from the needle. Insert the yarn needle knitwise through the second stitch on the back needle and pull the yarn through, leaving the stitch on the needle. Repeat from * across until all stitches have been joined. Adjust the tension as necessary. Weave in loose ends.
- Fold top MC edge in half and sew in place along WS, leaving the hanging loop free.
- Embroidery: Separate one ply of CC from a 24-inch strand. Thread into yarn needle and chain stitch. Duplicate stitch: Using MC, duplicate stitch letters onto front.
- Pom-poms: Using the pom-pom maker and CC, make 8 pom-poms. Sew them in place about 1 inch apart along top edge.