These easy-to-make ornaments will bring homemade charm with a whimsical touch to your holiday season. Hang them on your Christmas tree or give them away as fun holiday gifts. We choose a traditional color scheme but try making metallic or neon tassels.
Add texture by using a variety of wooden bead sizes.
1. Make one tassel partway. You can use a tassel maker for this, or you can simply wrap the string around a piece of cardboard until you've reached your desired thickness. Take the string off of the cardboard, keeping the loop shape in tact. Hold the wrapped string at the top of the circle and cut the strings at the bottom, making sure the sides are hanging evenly before tying off the top loop with an extra piece of string.
2. Cut an approximate 8-inch length of wire with wire cutters. Tie the tassel to the wire or loop using the ends of the extra string you used to tie off the tassel. You can also attach the tassel by threading it through the loop.
3. String beads onto the wire on either side of the tassel. To make the circular shape with the tassel at the bottom, place the same number of beads on either side of the tassel. Customize the ornament by using a pattern of differently-sized beads, or add a pop of color by painting the wooden beads.
4. Once you've finished beading the wire, shape the wire ends into a circular shape. Twist the wire ends together and close off the wreath using needle nose pliers. Cut away remaining wire and bend wire over. Adjust the beads and the tassel so that the bent wire ends are hidden.
5. Cut six pieces of embroidery thread and braid together to create the ornament hanger loop. Tie the braid to the wire at the top of the circle, making sure an even number of beads lie on either side. Hang the ornament up to display.
Give them as a gift tag! These adorable wreath ornaments make stunning package toppers. Instead of a large loop, thread the ornaments through ribbon for a fun gift tag.