Sheer fabric and white lace make a dashing stocking.
These simple stockings are made from sheer white fabric and edged in 5-inch-wide white lace for a classic, handmade look typical of Scandinavian country style. Red wooden hearts add a dash of color.
Note: Unless otherwise stated, sew with right sides together using 1/2-inch seam allowances.
1. Download the free pattern. (This requires Adobe Acrobat software.) Enlarge the pattern to scale by drawing a grid of 1-inch squares and copying the lines, square by square, from the pattern. Or enlarge it on a photocopier. (This will require several passes).
2. Transfer the pattern to the fabric; cut out two stocking pieces.
3. Sew stocking front to stocking back. Trim seam; clip curves. Overcast or zigzag edges; turn right sides out.
4. Attach lace. For lace with finished upper and lower edges: Turn under a narrow upper edge hem on stocking. Topstitch in place. Cut lace to fit stocking upper edge plus 2 inches on each edge to turn under. Sew raw edges under. Sew upper edge of lace to upper edge of stocking, beginning with and ending at back seam. For lace with header: Cut lace to fit stocking upper edge plus 1 inch on each edge to turn under. Sew raw edges under. With right side of lace to wrong side of stocking, sew upper edge seam; overcast. Flip lace to the right side of stocking.
5. Attach loop for hanging. Tack end of silver cord to inside upper back edge of stocking. Form 1-1/2-inch loop; tack loop on outside at same place.
6. Make heart decoration. Drill 1/4-inch-diameter hole in upper center of heart. Paint heart red. Let dry.
7. Attach heart to stocking. Loop cord through hole; tie in place.