1. For each ornament, carefully drill a hole for hanging. Sand the rough wood around the drilled hole.
2. Place the ornament on newspaper and prime with wood sealer; let dry.
3. Lightly sand the raised wood grain.
4. Paint the ornament red or gold; let dry. Apply a second coat and let dry.
5. Sponge or brush one coat of gold paint on a red ornament. Immediately wipe it off with a damp paper towel. Add more gold paint using a fine brush in the recesses of the applique to accent the design; let dry. Use the same process to add red paint in the recesses of the gold-paint ornaments; let dry.