- Drill two small holes in the bottom of the almond where the feet will go. Wash and dry the almond and seal with three coats of shellac; let dry.
- Trace our patterns, available below, onto tracing paper and cut out. Cut the hat from felt, and using three strands of embroidery floss, blanket-stitch the bottom edge of the hat. Fold the hat in half with right sides together and whipstitch together straight edges. Turn the hat right side out and stuff with polyester fiberfill. Stitch through the top of the hat with six strands of embroidery floss. Tie the floss ends in a knot for a hanging loop.
- Using needle-nose pliers and referring to our pattern, shape a 10-inch length of wire into a leg and foot. Bend the wire ends slightly upward to form ankles, and bend the toes slightly downward. Repeat to make the second leg and foot.
- Hot-glue the hat to the top of the almond. Trim the wire at the top of the legs to desired length; glue leg ends into the holes in the bottom of the almond using crafts glue.
- Glue feet onto twig; hold or clamp until dry.
- Cut a small diamond shape from yellow cardstock. Fold diamond at center and glue to almond for a beak. Add a dot of puff paint for each eye.
Get the hat, beak, and feet patterns.