How to Make It
Rnd 1: Ch 1, work 24 sc in ring; join with sl st to beg sc.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, work (1 dc in next sc) 3 times, (ch 12; work 1 dc in each of next 4 sc) 5 times; ch 12; join with sl st to top of beg ch-3.
Rnd 3: Work 1 sl st in each of next 3 dc and into first 6 ch of ch-12 lp; ch 3, in same lp work 2 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc; (ch 7, in next ch-12 lp work 3 dc, ch 3, and 3 dc) 5 times; ch 7; join with sl st to top of beg ch-3.
Rnd 4: Sl st in each of next 2 dc and into ch-3 lp; ch 3, 2 dc in same lp; *ch 5, sl st in 5th ch from hook, ch 7, sl st in 7th ch from hook, ch 5, sl st in 5th ch from hook, sl st in top of last dc made -- picot lp made; ch 1, in same ch-3 lp work 3 dc; ch 3, in next ch-7 lp work sc, ch 3, sc, ch 5, sc, ch 3, and sc; ch 3**, 3 dc in next ch-3 lp; rep from * around; end last rep at **; join with sl st to top of beg ch-3; fasten off.
Stiffen the Snowflake
- For a flat snowflake, place waxed paper over the plastic foam; secure it with a few straight pins. Saturate the snowflake with glue; squeeze out the excess.
- Lay the snowflake on the waxed-paper-covered foam.
- Beginning at the center, pin the snowflake in a symmetrical shape as follows: Pull out the six points of the snowflake straight from the center, spacing them evenly. Shape loops and picots in a pleasing design. Avoid pushing the pins into the stitches. Remove the pins when the snowflake is dry.
- For a ball snowflake, remove the cap from the ball ornament.
- Follow the instructions for the flat snowflake, except do not allow it to dry completely.
- Remove the pins after the snowflake has set for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully lift the snowflake from the waxed paper and place it over the top of the ornament.
- Shape the snowflake to the ball.
- To remove unwanted glue from the glass ball, turn the ball upside down, wipe it clean with a damp paper towel, and then dry it.
- Turn the ball right side up and reposition the snowflake.
- Clean up any small remaining areas of glue with a damp cotton swab.
- If necessary, add a dab of glue to the six points of the snowflake to secure them to the ball.