1. Scrape and clean dried ornamental gourds using warm soapy water and a scraper or scrubbing pad. Use a knife on tough spots if necessary. Wipe dry.
2. Clean debris from inside of milkweed pods.
3. Use a rag to apply wood stain to gourd and inside of milkweed pods. Wipe and let dry.
4. Pencil in eyes, nose, and mouth. Lightly color two small cheek circles using a coral color pencil. Draw mouth and eyebrows with a black permanent marker. Use glue to attach pieces, including allspice for eyes and nose.
5. Draw hats and trace onto decorative paper. Cut out and use double-stick tape to hold together.
6. Insert a length of ribbon loop through tip of hat for hanging Hot-glue pinecone, star, or pistachio shell on tip of hat.
7. Glue the hat onto the head. Let dry.