Clay Christmas Cookie Ornaments
What You'll Need
- Rolling pin
- Four 2-ounce packages white polymer clay
- Tracing paper
- Crafts knife
- Ceramic tile
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Acrylic paints: brown, gold, yellow, and white
- Brown stamp pad
- Dimensional paint: red and white
- Gloss varnish
- Crafts glue
- Clear coarse glitter
- Paper flower embellishments (optional)
continue reading below
- Using a rolling pin, roll clay flat until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Download, print, and trace our patterns onto tracing paper; cut out. Place patterns on the clay and cut out using a crafts knife.
- Place shapes on ceramic tiles. Using a toothpick, poke a hole at the top of each ornament for the hanging loop.
- Place ornaments (on ceramic tiles) in oven and bake, following manufacturer's instructions; let cool.
- Gently sand ornaments with fine-grit sandpaper; brush off dust.
- Paint all ornament surfaces with a mixture of equal amounts of brown, gold, and yellow paint; let dry. Lightly run the edge of the stamp pad along the edge of the ornaments to create shading.
- Leaving a 1/8-inch border along the edges, apply two coats of white acrylic paint, allowing drying time between coats.
- Referring to the pattern and photographs, apply details using dimensional paints; let dry thoroughly.
- Brush on two coats of gloss varnish, allowing ample drying time between coats.
- Apply crafts glue with a paintbrush on areas where you desire glitter. Sprinkle glitter onto glue and shake off excess. Let dry.
- Adhere embellishments using crafts glue.
Clay Christmas Cookie Snowflake Ornament: Add a flurry of snowflakes to your Christmas tree with this snowflake-shaped ornament. Dimensional paint in tone-on-tone white gives the snowflakes their impact.