For three ornaments:
1. Felt the wool: To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; tumble dry on high heat and steam-press.
2. Prepare the appliques: Download and print the free pattern. Cut out the pattern pieces and trace the pieces onto the wool as follows: Cut the large circle from red-and-black mini check wool; the small circle from black wool; the flame from gold wool; the candle, poinsettia leaves, and bow pieces from red wool; the holly leaves, mistletoe leaves, and poinsettia leaves from green wool. (Note: Some of the pattern pieces will need to be cut out more than once, refer to the pattern for the number of pieces needed.)
Applique the candle ornament:
1. Position the candle, holly leaves, and flame atop a small circle. Remove all pieces except the candle; glue or pin it in place.
2. Use a single strand of red embroidery floss to work tack stitches around the candle.
3. Layer the remaining wool shapes atop the candle. With coordinating floss and tack stitches, stitch around each wool shape, and starting with the bottom layer and working to the top.
4. Backstitch the top detail on the candle using red floss.
5. Using two strands of floss, backstitch light green branches on the circle. Alternating light green and dark green floss, straight-stitch pine needles along the branches.
6. Using one strand of gold floss, add 13 French knots in a ring around the flame. Using six strands of red floss wrapped once around the needle, add three French knots to form berries on the holly leaves.
1. Position the leaves and petals atop a small circle. Remove all petals; glue or pin the leaves in place.
2. Using a single strand of green embroidery floss and tack stitches, stitch around the leaves.
3. Layer the petals atop the small circle. With a single strand of red floss and tack stitches, stitch around each petal, starting with the bottom layer and working to the top. (When tack-stitching around some petals, start at the midpoint of a petal and work toward the flower center, leaving the outer half of the petal unstitched. This will give the poinsettia added dimension.)
4. Add nine gold French knots where the petals meet. Straight-stitch black veins on the petals.
Applique the mistletoe ornament:
1. Position bow pieces and leaves atop a black circle. Remove bow pieces; glue or pin the leaves in place.
2. With one strand of green floss and tack stitches, stitch around each leaf, leaving the edge of the top right-hand leaf unstitched where it will overlap the bow tail.
3. With two strands of light green floss, stem-stitch mistletoe stems on the black circle. Layer bow pieces atop the mistletoe stems.
4. With one strand of coordinating floss and tack stitches, stitch around bow pieces and remaining unstitched edge of the leaf.
5. Using one strand of black floss, backstitch details on the bow. Using six strands of ecru floss wrapped once around the needle, add 22 French knots to form berries on the leaves.
1. Center and tack-stitch each appliqued black circle to a red-and- black mini check circle. With the wrong sides together, layer each stitched red-and-black mini check circle with an unstitched red-and-black mini check circle.
2. Using gold perle cotton, start at the top of each pair of circles and blanket-stitch around the edge, leaving a 4-inch tail at the beginning.
3. At the end, run thread under the first stitches, tie a knot with the beginning thread, and leave a 4-inch tail. Cut the tails to the same length, and knot them together to form a hanging loop.