This heart-shape ornament is sure to catch the eye of anyone with an interest in traditional crafts. The appliqued felt design is stitched to a contrasting heart-shaped base. Our photo shows two variations. The instructions are for the red ornament; to make the white ornament reverse the felt and thread colors.
1. Download and print out the applique pattern. Trace the pattern onto tracing paper. Center the pattern on one piece of red felt, and transfer the black pattern lines using dressmaker's tracing paper.
2. Center the red felt, pattern side up, on the white felt; pin the pieces together. Thread your sewing machine with white thread and set the stitch length to 16 stitches per inch. Sew through both layers of felt on the transferred pattern lines. Begin sewing at the center of the design, and work toward the edges, completing the large outside heart last. Pull all the thread to the red felt side; knot and trim.
3. Turn the stitched piece over to work from the white-felt side. Referring to the photograph, use embroidery scissors to carefully cut away the white felt approximately 1/16 inch beyond the stitching lines. At the bottom of the heart, cut three extended teardrops in the diamond shape. Use the pinking shears to trim away the white felt 1/4 inch beyond the stitching lines of the large heart.
4. Center the stitched piece, right side up, on the second piece of red felt; pin together. Thread your sewing machine with red thread. Sew just beyond the pinked edges of the large white heart shape. Use the pinking shears to trim away the red felt layers approximately 1/4 inch beyond the pinked white felt edge.
5. For a hanging loop, fold the 9-inch length of braid in half. Sew the braid ends to the back of the ornament at the top center.