continue reading below
Finished Embroidery Designs: 3-inch square to 4-1/2-inch square
How to Make It: Trace Design
- Choose an embroidery pattern and decide where on the napkin you want to position it. Consider placing designs in one corner, all four corners, or centered along a napkin edge.
- Tape chosen embroidery pattern to a light box or sunny window. Position a napkin right side up over the pattern; tape in place. Trace the pattern onto napkin with a red fine-tip marking pen.
- Embroider the outline of the design with a backstitch. To backstitch, pull needle up at A (see diagram). Insert it back into fabric at B, and bring it up at C. Continue in same manner. Use two strands of embroidery floss for all stitches.
- If desired, add a border of running stitches just inside the hem. To make a running stitch, pull needle up at A (see diagram) and insert back into fabric at B. Continue in same manner, loading several stitches on needle at a time. Leave about a stitch width between each stitch.
- Add French knots to the snowman and "Believe" designs. To make a French knot, bring the needle up at A. Wrap the floss around the needle twice without twisting it. Insert the needle into the fabric at B, 1/16 inch away from A. Gently push the wraps down the needle to meet the fabric, then pull the needle and floss through the fabric slowly and smoothly.
- Press the napkin from the wrong side when the embroidery is complete.