1. Finish the insides of the boxes and lids first. Base-coat the insides of both boxes and both lids with Light Ivory acrylic paint. Let dry. Sponge paint the inside of the large box and lid using the sea sponge and Silver Pine. Allow to dry.
2. For the large box, mix one part Silver Pine with one part Pearl Luster Medium. Repeat the sponge-painting process over the sponged layer. For the ivory box, mix Light Ivory with the Pearl Luster Medium; sponge the mixture over the base coat. Allow the paint to dry.
To make cork template
3. To make the cork template for the white box, place two floral lace sprays on the sheet of cork. Trace around the lace shapes with the water-erasable marking pencil. Remove the lace shapes from the cork. Place the cork on a self-healing mat and cut out the traced shape using the crafts knife. Set the lace and cork aside.
4. To make the cork template for the green box, trace the fleur-de-lis pattern and transfer the traced lines to the cork using the graphite paper. Cut out the cork shape on the outside lines as before. Use the V-shape gouge to cut 1/16 inch-deep grooves on one side of the cork for the inside design lines of the fleur-de-lis.
Cutting the fabric
5. For the ivory box and lid, cut the following pieces of ivory velvet:
6. For the green box and lid, cut the following pieces of green velvet:
Embossing the velvet
7. To emboss the ivory velvet for the small box, fill the iron with water; preheat the iron to medium setting. Fold a bath towel in half and place it on a hard work surface. Place the 20-inch x 6-1/4-inch piece of velvet right side up, on the towel. Lay the floral lace spray appliques 2 inches from the top and approximately 1 inch from the edges.
8. Spray the lace and velvet lightly with water. Cover the lace appliques with the matching cork template. Cover the cork with a press cloth. Dampen a hand towel with water, wringing out most of the water. Place the dampened towel over the press cloth. Place the iron over the dampened towel and press down with a steady, firm pressure for 15 seconds. Remove the towel, press cloth, cork, and lace appliques to check the impressions. If more embossing is needed, replace the lace, cork, press cloth, and towel; press for an additional 10 seconds.
9. Remove the towel, press cloth, templates, and lace. Repeat the embossing process on the other end of ivory velvet. Place a 7-1/4-inch x 6-1/4-inch piece of velvet, right side up, on the bath towel. Repeat the embossing process, placing the lace appliques 2 inches from the top and 1 inch from sides. Repeat for the remaining 7-1/4-inch x 6-1/4-inch piece of velvet.
10. For the lid, place the 9-inch x 6-1/2-inch piece of ivory velvet, right side up, on the towel. Center the appliques 1-1/4-inches from the top and bottom and 3/4-inch from sides. Cover with the cork templates. Cut two 6-1/2-inch lengths from the scalloped lace. Place these lengths horizontally across the velvet lid sides, 3/4-inch from the top and bottom edges. No cork templates are needed. Repeat the embossing process. Place the 6-1/2-inch x 13-3/4-inch pieces of velvet, right sides up, on the bath towel. Place the 6-1/2-inch lengths of lace, 3/4 inch from the bottom edges of velvet. Emboss as above. Allow all velvet pieces to dry.
11. Thread a needle with ivory thread to randomly hand-sew pearl seed beads and frosted white glass "E" beads to the floral impressions. Set aside the ivory velvet pieces.
12. For the green velvet box, place the 26-inch x 8-1/2-inch piece of green velvet right side up on the bath towel. Place the fleur-de-lis cork template on the velvet, centered, 2-1/2 inches from the top and 1-1/2 inches from the sides. The gouged lines face the velvet. To avoid a textured background on the velvet, do not use a press cloth. Place a damp towel directly over the cork template and emboss as for the ivory box. Repeat the embossing process at the opposite end of the velvet. Emboss both 9-1/2-inch x 9-inch pieces for the box sides and the center of the 11-3/4-inch x 8-1/2-inch piece for the lid.
Covering the boxes
13. To cover each box, use the permanent fabric adhesive to adhere the opposite two sides of velvet to the appropriate box. Turn under approximately 3/8-inch hems on both long edges of the two sides/bottom piece. Use adhesive to attach the piece to the box, covering all raw velvet edges.
14. Wrap and glue the top edges of velvet over the top edges of the box. Glue the coordinating rayon braid around the inside of each box, covering the raw edges of the velvet; trim off excess braid. Cover the lids in the same manner, except position the velvet pieces next to the bottom edges of the box lid.
15. Glue the white lace heart trim around the bottom edge of the ivory box lid; trim excess lace. Glue the remaining green rayon braid around the bottom edge of the green lid; trim off excess braid. Using green thread, stitch the green tassels to the bottom corners of the lid.