Red and white are a foolproof holiday color duo and these two simple projects make it easy to bring the charm of the Yuletide season into your home.
The key to keeping the color scheme from getting monotonous is in mixing patterns and textures, such as pairing red-checked pillows with a more classic toile.
- Fabric for pillow
- Pillow form
- Fringe trim
- Matching sewing thread
- Cut fabric 1-inch larger all around than pillow form.
- With wrong sides facing, pin the fabric pieces together with the pillow form sandwiched in between.
- Zigzag-stitch the edges together, enclosing the pillow.
- Trim fabric close to stitching.
- Pin fringe trim over the zigzag stitching and topstitch in place, turning under the cut ends of the trim.
- To determine the size of the cuff, measure the top of the skate and add 1 inch for the seam allowance.
- Using the finished bottom of the sweater, cut cuffs to that measurement and 10 inches deep.
- Fold the cuff in half, and sew the long edges together with a 1/2-inch seam allowance, creating a tube.
- Slip the tube into the top of the skate, and fold the finished edge down over the skate to form a cuff.
Ice Skate Pom-Pom
- 1-x-4-inch board
- Hammer two nails 3 inches apart on the board.
- Wrap yarn around the nails 100 times.
- Cut a 12-inch length of yarn; tightly knot it around the center of the wrapped yarn, midway between the nails.
- Cut the yarn at each nail.
- Fluff the pom-pom, and tie it to the toe of the skate.