What You'll Need:
- 1-1/2 yards 60-inch-wide red wool
- 2 skeins No. 3 white pearl cotton
- Stitchable fusible transweb paper
- 1/2 yard 36-inch-wide white wool felt; straight pins
- Sewing machine; thread
- 1 skein No. 5 white pearl cotton
- 1 skein No. 5 red pearl cotton
- Buttons: 84 -- 5/8-inch, 72 -- 3/4-inch, 72 -- 7/8-inch, 50 -- 3/8-inch
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- From red wool, cut a 54-inch circle. Using No.3 white pearl cotton, work blanket stitches around the edges of the wool, alternating stitch lengths--approximately 3/8 and 7/8 inches.
- Enlarge and trace the snowflake pattern. Trace 12 snowflakes on the transweb paper. Fuse them to the wool felt. Cut out snowflakes, and remove paper.
- Mark six equal sections around the tablecloth edge. Pin a snowflake 2 inches above each mark. Space and pin six snowflakes between the first snowflakes.
- With red No. 5 pearl cotton, sew 19 buttons to each snowflake, catching the tablecloth in the thread. Each snowflake point has a 5/8-, a 3/4- and a 7/8-inch button with a 5/8-inch button in the center.
- Randomly stitch three or four 3/8-inch buttons between snowflakes with No. 5 white pearl cotton.