Matching sewing threads
- 1-1/2 yards each of 1 inch-wide purple, green, and royal blue velvet or satin ribbons
- 1-1/2 yards each of 1/8 inch - or 1/4 inch-wide bright pink, lime-green, and purple satin ribbons
- 1-1/2 yards each of 3/8 inch-wide purple, green, and royal blue velvet ribbons
- 2-3/4 yards of 1 inch-wide royal blue satin ribbon for binding
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Use the fabric marking pencil to draw a 14 inch x 32 inch rectangle centered on the right side of the blue satin fabric; do not cut out now.
3. To draw a diamond grid on the front of the satin fabric, refer to the diagram, and beginning 4 inch from one short edge, make marks 8 inches apart along both long edges of the rectangle.
4. Beginning 2-3/8 inches from one long edge, make marks 4-3/4 inches apart along both short edges of the rectangle. Draw lines connecting the marks to create the diamond grid.
5. Place the satin fabric, right side up, over the fleece on a flat surface. Pin the layers together. Referring to the photograph for color placement ideas, center a 1 inch-wide ribbon with a 1/8 inch- or 1/4 inch-wide ribbon atop over each drawn grid line in one direction. Sew the ribbons in place. Sew the 3/8 inches-wide velvet ribbons over the drawn grid lines in the opposite direction.
6. With wrong sides together, smooth the ribbon-trimmed satin fabric over the blue cotton fabric. Pin the layers together and machine-baste 1/4 inch inside the drawn lines of the rectangle. Cut through all layers on the drawn lines.
7. To bind the table runner, fold the 1 inch-wide blue satin ribbon over the edges of the runner. Edge-stitch the ribbon in place, mitering the corners and taking care to catch both long edges of the ribbon in the stitching.