What You Need:
- 24-inch square of batiste
- 1/8 to 1/4 yard each of 15 different red, green, and white fabrics
- Fabric-marking pen
- Assorted embroidery threads, perle cotton, and novelty threads in red, green, and white
- Sewing needle; thread; batting
- 2-1/2 yards of sew-in red piping cord (lightweight cotton fabric)
- 24-inch square of red felt; polyfil
- Assorted heart and holiday charms
- Cabone ring
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- For the patchwork, start in the center of the batiste fabric. Baste five fabrics to batiste, creating a five-sided piece. Right sides together, sew the next fabric piece with 1/4-inch seam allowance onto any side. Press the second piece to the right side.
- Working clockwise, stitch the third piece of fabric in the same manner, completely covering the edges of piece one and piece two. Press to right side.
- Continue working in a clockwise direction around all five sides, trimming excess fabric. Patchwork in this manner covering the batiste fabric.
- Center and trace a 20-inch circle with a 5-inch center circle onto the patchwork. Work embroidery stitches covering seams inside the wreath shape. Line patchwork with batting and machine-baste on the traced circles.
- Cut out wreath allowing a 1/4-inch seam. Stitch red piping to outside and inside circles.
- With right sides facing, stitch wreath to red felt around outside edge. Cut out felt 5 inches inside circle. Trim and clip outside circle even. Turn wreath to the right side.
- Stuff wreath shape with polyfil. Turn under seam allowance on the inside circles and hand-stitch the front patchwork to the felt back. Tack heart and holiday charms to patchwork. Sew a cabone ring onto back for hanging. Trim wreath with ribbon bow.