Miniature Christmas Tree Made with Buttons
Decorate a simple plastic foam cone with an array of buttons for an easy Christmas decoration for your home or to give to a friend.
What You'll Need
- 12-inch plastic foam cone
- 250+ buttons in a variety of sizes and colors
- 250+ pins with large heads
- White crafts glue (optional)
- Star or other ornament for the tree topper
How to Make It
1. Select a color scheme for the tree (we used shades of red and green). Purchase buttons in the color scheme in a variety of sizes (small, medium, large) or use antique buttons. Sort the buttons by size and color.
2. Beginning with the largest buttons, insert a pin into a button hole and pin the button to the cone. Place the largest buttons randomly around the lower portion of the tree. (If desired, dip the pin shaft into crafts glue before inserting into the cone.
3. Layer some contrasting smaller buttons onto the larger buttons. As you are working, check your tree for balance of color and button size; adjust as needed. Continue by placing medium buttons of contrasting colors adjacent to the larger buttons.
4. Fill in the gaps between the larger buttons with the smallest buttons. Add buttons until the foam cone is completely covered. Use small buttons at the top of the tree.
5. Add star or other ornament to the top of the tree.