Make a Felted Snowman Craft
This warm and wooly snowman is a jolly, happy soul! Make this festive holiday craft for your home by following our step-by-step instructions below.
Felted Frosty the Snowman Craft
- 12-inch square of 2-inch-thick foam rubber
- Wool roving: white, orange, and black
- Felting needles: No. 36 and No. 38
- 22-gauge wire: black
- Variegated yarn
- Size 10 knitting needles
- Lay the foam rubber on a work surface. Pull off a tuft of white roving and place it on the foam rubber. Roll one end of the roving toward the center of tuft. Use a felting needle to poke roving repeatedly while turning and shaping it into a ball. Using the No. 36 felting needle, needle-felt the ball center until it is slightly firm. Continue to needle-felt the ball, adding more roving until the ball measures 4 inches in diameter. Finish felting with the No. 38 needle for a smoother appearance.
- Repeat the steps above to make a 3-inch-diameter ball and a 2-inch-diameter ball.
- Place the 3-inch ball on top of the 4-inch ball. Felt the balls together by poking with a felting needle at an angle through both balls. Make sure to completely felt around both balls for a secure hold.
- Repeat the steps above to felt the 2-inch ball on top of the 3-inch ball.
- Pull off a small piece of orange roving. Pull the roving fibers apart with your fingers, making a loose ball. Roll and needle-felt the fibers firmly to form a cone shape. If needed, trim the felted piece to the desired size for the nose. (The finished nose should measure about 3/8x1/2 inches. Needle-felt the nose to the face by poking it with the needle at an angle until it is firmly attached.
- Pull off a very small piece of black roving. Roll the wool into a very small ball for an eye; repeat. Needle-felt the eyes to the head until they are the desired size. Form two more balls of roving for buttons. Needle-felt the buttons to the front of the 3-inch ball. Pull off another small piece of black roving and needle-felt it in a thin line above one eye for an eyebrow; repeat.
- Cut two 7-inch pieces of wire for arms. Poke one wire through side of the 3-inch ball until it comes out the other side. Poke the second wire through 3-inch ball, starting where the first wire exited. Twist the arm wires together and trim off excess wire.
- To knit the scarf, cast on 4 stitches and knit across. Repeat until the scarf measures 14 inches long; bind off and weave in loose ends. Tie the scarf around snowman's neck.
Editor's Tip: To help the snowman stand firmly, flatten the bottom of snowman by poking the base with the No. 36 felting needle.