What You Need
- 1/2 yard each of red and green felt
- Embroidery thread to match red felt
- Sewing thread to match red felt
- Embroidery needle
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cut a red felt rectangle the size of a standard place mat.
- Cut a green felt rectangle 1 inch larger on all sides.
- Enlarge the holly leaf pattern; cut out the pattern.
- Pin the pattern to a corner of the red felt rectangle; cut out the openings.
- Cut 1/2-inch diameter circles from red felt and tack them in place with red embroidery thread, leaving short tails on the front side of each tack to tie a decorative knot.
- Use embroidery thread to sew a running stitch down the center of each holly leaf for veins.
- Lay the red rectangle on top of the green rectangle, centering it on all sides, and topstitch the felt pieces together.