What You Need:
- Tracing paper
- Two 1/2-yard pieces of felt fleece
- 2 yards of 1-1/2-inch-wide crafts ribbon
- Thread in coordinating color
- Sewing machine
- Paper-back fusible webbing
- Decorative-edge scissors, or rotary cutter with pinking blade
- 1/4 yard cotton batik fabric
- 1 yard each of wool yarn in coordinating colors
- Felting needle tool
- Felting needle mat
How to Make It:
Editor's Note: Felt fleece cannot withstand a hot iron. Place a press cloth between the fabric and iron to prevent damaging the felt. Follow directions for the felting needle tool and mat to felt wool yarn to the stocking front. In lieu of felting tools, machine-zigzag yarn to the fabric.
- Trace the stocking pattern onto tracing paper; cut out. Trace and cut out star patterns.
- Using stocking pattern, cut front and back.
- For ribbon stocking, pin ribbon lengths on stocking front for a cuff, heel, and toe as shown. Sew along edge of each ribbon to attach to stocking front. Place stocking front and back together with wrong sides facing. Machine-stitch a 1/2-inch seam allowance around stocking edges, leaving top open at cuff.
- For star stocking, following directions for fusible webbing, adhere webbing on the cotton batik fabric. Cut out star shapes and peel paper off the fusible webbing. Follow directions on fusible webbing package to fuse stars to stocking front. Machine-satin-stitch the edges of each star to secure to stocking front. Following directions for felting needle tool, adhere yarn lengths as shown. Place front and back stocking pieces together with wrong sides facing. Sew a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Machine-stitch around stocking, leaving the top of the stocking open at the cuff.
- For both stockings, trim sewn edges with decorative-edge scissors or rotary cutter pinking blade. Do not pink cuff edges. Turn under the edge of the cuff 1/4 inch and machine-stitch around it. For a hanger, cut a 1x6-inch length of felt or use a 6-inch length of ribbon and fold in half. Sew to inside of the heel side of the cuff.