What You Need:
- Solid-color wrapping paper
- Crafts scissors
- Wax paper
- Liquid varnish
- Crafts glue
- Embellishments, such as tinsel and small glass ornaments (optional)
- Purchased silver cardstock star
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Glitter Snowflake: Cut a square from wrapping paper, varying the size to make snowflakes in a variety of sizes. Fold the square in half, and then fold in half again, creating a small square.
- Firmly crease the folds with your fingernail. Fold the small squares in half diagonally, aligning the previously folded edges and creating a triangle shape.
- Use scissors to cut a shape from the center area of the triangle, leaving the folded edges uncut; this will separate the snowflake's "arms." Then cut shapes along the folded edges. Unfold paper and smooth out the snowflake, right side up, on a piece of wax paper.
- Brush with liquid varnish and sprinkle with glitter. Transfer to a clean piece of wax paper to dry. Use alone or layer on a fanfold snowflake.
- Embellish with tinsel and a small ornament if desired.
- Fanfold Snowflake: Cut two strips of wrapping paper, measuring approximately 3-1/2x10 inches; vary the size of the strip to create snowflakes of different sizes.
- Beginning at the short edge of each strip, make accordion-style pleats every 1/2-inch across the paper; finger-crease each pleat.
- Cut one end of the pleated paper at a diagonal. Cut small shapes along the folds. Glue the short edges of the pleated paper strips together, forming a circle.
- Pinch and glue one pleated edge together for the center of the snowflake. Center and glue a glitter snowflake on the fanfold snowflake.
- Glue an ornament centered on the layered snowflake and glue tinsel around the ornament.
- Adhere an embellished snowflake to the center of a purchased silver star.