What You Need
- 1/8 yard each of cotton fabrics in purple and pink pastel colors
- 1/3 yard yellow cotton fabric
- 1/2 yard green cotton fabric
- 1/2 yard blue cotton fabric
- 1/2 yard light-colored cotton fabric for block backgrounds
- 1 1/8 yard light-colored cotton fabric for quilt back
- 35-x-42-inch piece of thin cotton batting
- Sewing thread
- Quilting thread
- Green, yellow, and pink embroidery floss and matching threads
- Marking pencil
All measurements are for 45-inch-wide fabrics.
- Cut all strips across the width of the fabric.
- Cut ten 2-1/2-inch squares from each of the purple, pink, yellow, green, and blue pastel fabrics.
- Cut the following number of 2-inch squares: 10 purple, 7 pink, 9 yellow, 6 green, 8 blue.
- Cut from background fabric: forty 2-1/2-inch squares, one 3-1/2-x-6-1/2-inch rectangle, and twenty 3-1/2-x-2-inch rectangles.
- Cut three 2-1/2-inch strips of yellow fabric for the border.
- Cut four 3-1/2-inch strips of green fabric for the border.
- Cut four 2-1/2-inch blue fabric strips for binding.
How to Make It
1. Using quilt and layout diagram as a guide, piece together ten 9-patch blocks from the 2-1/2-inch squares of pastel and light background fabrics. Piece ten of the heart blocks using the smaller 2-inch pastel squares and the light background fabric rectangles to make a total of twenty 6-inch blocks.
2. Mark triple heart shapes onto the center of the open area of the heart block. Thread a needle with all six strands of embroidery floss and knot the end of the thread. From back of the heart block, insert the needle at the bottom of the heart point, drawing the floss to the front of the fabric. With one hand lay the floss along the marked line of the heart. Machine zigzag-stitch over the floss along this line to couch the thread onto the block. When nearing the end of the point of the heart, draw the floss back to the back side of the fabric and knot in place. Finish machine sewing to the point. You also may use a stem stitch or chain stitch to embroider the heart shapes.
3. Arrange the 9-patch and heart blocks in rows, alternating the blocks as shown. Sew blocks together. Add a 2-1/2-inch yellow border to outside and then add the 3-1/2-inch green border.
4. Layer the quilt top, batting, and backing. Baste together. Quilt as desired, or follow the quilting shown on the pictured quilt with stipple quilting in the light background sections, outline stitching around the heart floss shapes, straight lines through the 2-inch squares, stitching in the ditch by the yellow border, and double hearts in the outer green border. Bind the edges with the blue fabric.