For the cookies (not the icing), you'll need:
To make the cookies, you'll:
1. Beat the butter.
2. Beat in the dry ingredients (other than flour).
3. Beat in the wet ingredients.
4. Beat in the flour, using a wooden spoon to finish the mixing.
5. Chill the dough to make it easy to handle.
6. Roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutters.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes.
8. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
For the icing, you'll need:
To make the icing, you'll:
1. Combine the dry ingredients.
2. Add water and vanilla.
3. Beat until combined, then on high speed until very stiff.
4. Add more water to make the icing spreading consistency.
5. If desired, tint the icing with paste food coloring.
1. Start by using a piping bag filled with royal icing to outline the design.
2. Then flood the center of the cookie with icing and smooth it out to the piped edge. You may want to thin it out slightly to glaze the cookie. Editor's Tip: Use a food-safe brush to fill the design with icing.