Recipes and Cooking Ethnic Food Asian Chinese Steamed Dumplings with Pork and Shiitake Be the first to rate & review! These steamed dumplings make the perfect cold-weather meal. Light some candles and gather your family and friends for a shared meal. By Diana Kuan Published on April 20, 2023 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Kelsey Hansen Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 1 hr 5 mins Total Time: 1 hr 35 mins Servings: 24 Jump to Nutrition Facts Chinese steamed dumplings are a staple of Lunar New Year celebrations, but also make a delicious year-round meal. Dim sum, the Chinese ritual of sharing small plates, often features a form of these pleated, pinched "purses." The lovely packages make a beautiful presentation, and follow through with juicy pork, umami-rich mushrooms, and sesame oil. Dip our homemade Chinese steamed dumpling recipe in a simple stir-together peanut sauce for a delightfully cozy meal. Global Dumpling Recipes From Pierogi to Gyoza to Empanadas Ingredients Chinese Steamed Dumplings 8 dried whole or ½ oz. dried sliced shiitake mushrooms 8 oz. ground pork ⅓ cup finely chopped green onions 2 Tbsp. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger 24 dumpling wrappers, rolled to medium thickness Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce 2 Tbsp. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. peanut butter 1 Tbsp. chili oil 2 tsp. rice vinegar 1½ tsp. sugar 1 tsp. crushed red pepper Directions Place dried mushrooms in a bowl; cover with warm water. Let soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; squeeze out excess water. Discard any stems and finely chop mushroom caps. Test Kitchen Tip: Dried shiitake mushrooms are prized in China because of their concentrated umami flavor, but you may use 8 whole fresh shiitakes to make the savory filling. For filling, stir together mushrooms, pork, green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger. Carson Downing Cover wrappers with a slightly damp towel to keep them from drying out. Fill a small bowl with water. Place a wrapper on the work surface. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon filling onto the center of the wrapper. DIY Dumpling Wrappers Carson Downing Set shaped dumpling on a baking sheet and cover with a slightly damp towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Test Kitchen Tip: To shape dumplings, dip your finger in water and moisten the edges. Using thumb and index finger on both hands, make a ½-inch pleat, folding it down to the left if you are right-handed (opposite direction if left-handed). Hold the first pleat down with your nondominant hand and form a second pleat with your dominant hand. Folding it down in the same direction, completely overlap the first pleat. Make another pleat that completely overlaps the second one. Continue making pleats, turning the dumpling as you go until you have at least 12 pleats and dumpling is in the shape of a circle. Twist dumpling at the top and pinch to seal. Carson Downing Line 8- to 10-inch steamer baskets with parchment paper; poke holes in paper to allow steam to flow through. Arrange dumplings in baskets at least 1 inch apart. Add 1 inch of water to a large skillet or shallow pot big enough for baskets to fit inside. Bring water to boiling. Set baskets in skillet and cover with steamer lid; steam 14 minutes for two baskets or 12 minutes for a single basket. Serve this Chinese dumpling recipe with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce. Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, peanut butter, chili oil, rice vinegar, sugar, and crushed red pepper until smooth. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 122 Calories 5g Fat 14g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 24 Calories 122.1 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5.2g 7% Saturated Fat 1.4g 7% Cholesterol 10.1mg 3% Sodium 439mg 19% Total Carbohydrate 13.7g 5% Dietary Fiber 0.5g 2% Total Sugars 0.9g Protein 4.9g Vitamin D 0.2mcg 1% Vitamin C 0.5mg 3% Calcium 91mg 7% Iron 0.5mg 3% Potassium 98.2mg 2% Fatty acids, total trans 0g Vitamin D 8IU Alanine 0.2g Arginine 0.3g Ash 1.9g Aspartic acid 0.4g Caffeine 0mg Carotene, alpha 0mcg Choline, total 11mg Copper, Cu 0mg Cystine 0.1g Energy 510.7kJ Fluoride, F 0mcg Folate, total 6.9mcg Glutamic acid 1.1g Glycine 0.2g Histidine 0.2g Isoleucine 0.2g Leucine 0.4g Lysine 0.3g Methionine 0.1g Magnesium, Mg 11.7mg Manganese, Mn 0.1mg Niacin 0.8mg Phosphorus, P 84.9mg Pantothenic acid 0.2mg Phenylalanine 0.2g Phytosterols 8.7mg Proline 0.4g Retinol 21.3mcg Selenium, Se 9.1mcg Serine 0.2g Starch 0g Theobromine 0mg Threonine 0.2g Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol) 0.2mg Tryptophan 0.1g Tyrosine 0.2g Valine 0.2g Vitamin A, IU 139.9IU Vitamin A, RAE 24.7mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg Vitamin K (phylloquinone) 3.4mcg Water 24.3g Zinc, Zn 0.5mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.