What You Need:
lanterns a glow.
- 12 x 12 sheet each of two coordinating patterned scrapbook papers
- Multipurpose spray adhesive (we used 3M Super 77)
- Scissors: one large scallop-edge and several small decorative-edge
- Crafts glue
- 1/4-inch hole punch
- 2 3/4 yards of 1/2-inch-wide seam-binding ribbon
- Small bunch of flowers from crafts store
- Small battery-operated white lights
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Cover your work area with newspaper. Place one sheet of scrapbook paper wrong side up, and spray with adhesive. Aligning the edges, smooth the second sheet of paper wrong side down on top of the first sheet.
3. Trim opposite edges of the layered paper with scallop-edge scissors. Bring scalloped edges together to fold the paper in half for the center of the lantern; firmly crease along the fold. Use small decorative-edge scissors to make 2-1/4-inch-long cuts along the folded edge of the paper every 3/4 inch. Unfold the paper. Overlap the straight edges of the paper, forming a tube; glue.
4. Punch two holes close together on opposite sides of the lantern about 1/2 inch from the top edge. Cut two 1-yard lengths of ribbon. Insert a ribbon length through each pair of holes and tie a bow.
5. Punch another hole at the center front 1 inch from the top edge. Tie the remaining ribbon in a bow around the base of the flowers. Insert the flower stems into the hole and curl the stems on the inside of the lantern to secure. Use a string of lights to illuminate lanterns.