Easy-to-Sew Reusable Gift Bag
Create personalized reusable gift bags that are cute and eco-friendly. Use our step-by-step instructions to make this fabric bag.
Upload your photo here.
- Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics
- Measurements include 1/2-inch seam allowances unless otherwise specified. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
From print A, cut:
- Two 10x11-inch bag body rectangles
From print B, cut:
- One 1-3/4x24-inch strip
- Two 10x11-inch lining rectangles
- One 1-1/8x3-inch bias strip
From interfacing, cut:
- Two 10x11-inch rectangles
From cardboard, cut:
- One 2-3/4x4-3/4-inch rectangle
1. Baste interfacing rectangles to wrong side of bag body rectangles, machine-stitching a scant 1/4 inch from edges. The interfacing gives the bag more body and maintains its shape.
2. Cut a 1-1/2-inch square from each bottom corner of interfaced bag body rectangles (see Diagram 1). Repeat to cut squares from bottom corners of lining rectangles.
3. Fold B print 1-1/8x3-inch bias strip in half lengthwise; sew together long edges with 1/4-inch seam. Turn right side out; press. Trim to 2-1/2 inches long and fold in half to make a loop. With right sides together, center loop ends along top edge of bag body back rectangle; baste in place (see Diagram 2).
4. Fold print B 1-1/3x24-inch strip in half lengthwise; sew together long edges with 1/4-inch seam. Turn right side out and press to make a tie. Knot each end of the tie and trim excess fabric at an angle. With right sides together, sew center of tie to bag body front rectangle, 4-1/2 inches from the top edge (see Diagram 3).
5. Join bag body rectangles along the sides and bottom to make bag body, being careful not to catch tie ends in stitching (see Diagram 4). Press seams open.
6. To shape the bag's bottom, match a side seam line of bag body with bottom seam line; stitch across resulting straight edge (see Diagram 5). Repeat with remaining bottom side. Turn bag body right side out and press.
7. Repeat Step 5 with lining rectangles, leaving a 4-inch opening along one side.
8. Repeat Step 6 to shape the bottom corners of the lining. Do not turn lining right side out.
9. Insert bag body into lining (they will be right sides together). Tuck ties into area between the lining and the body. Sew together around the top edge with1/4-inch seam.
10. Turn bag body and lining to the right side through the opening in the lining side seam. Hand-stitch the opening closed. Push the lining down into the bag body and iron the top edge of the bag. Topstitch 1/4 inch from the top edge through all layers.
11. Turn bag body and lining to the right side through the opening in the lining side seam. Hand-stitch the opening closed. Push the lining down into the bag body and iron the top edge of the bag. Topstitch 1/4 inch from the top edge through all layers.