Sentimental Reason Wedding Cake
This lovely layered cake is decorated with beautiful pink and white flowers.
What You NeedSentimental Reason Wedding Cake
- 2 14-x-14-x-2-inch square cake pans
- 2 10-x-2-inch round cake pans
- 2 6-x-2-inch round cake pans
- 11 two-layer-size white cake mixes
- 10 recipes Creamy White Frosting
- Pink paste food coloring
- 15-x-15-x-1/2-inch wooden board
- 10-inch round and 6-inch round pieces of 1/4-inch-thick clear Plexiglas
- Purchased lemon or raspberry curd
- Large decorating bag fitted with coupler and #3, #5, and #12 writing tips
- 8 white plastic dowels
- Fresh edible flowers
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Prepare cake mixes one or two at a time, according to package directions. For the bottom tier, divide 6 1/2 mixes between two 14-inch baking pans (use the remaining batter from 1/2 mix for cupcakes). For the center tier, divide 3 mixes between two 10-inch round baking pans. For the top tier, divide 1 mix between two 6-inch round baking pans. Bake 14- and 10-inch cakes in a 325 degree F oven for 55 to 65 minutes; bake 6-inch cakes for 45 to 55 minutes.
3. To decorate the cake, tint 8 recipes Creamy White Frosting pale pink; leave 2 recipes of frosting white.
4. To assemble the first tier, stack 14-inch cakes on wooden board, lightly spreading the lemon or raspberry curd between cakes. Repeat with remaining tiers, stacking them on the Plexiglas pieces. Frost tops and sides of all tiers with pink frosting.
5. Mark scallops using the patterns (enlarged 200 percent) at left below. With a #3 writing tip and white frosting, pipe cornelli lace (meandering unbroken lines) within marked areas and over tops of cakes. Outline edges of scallops with a line of dots using a #5 writing tip.
6. Insert plastic dowels into the bottom 2 tiers to support the stacking. Stack the tiers on-site. Pipe a border at the base of each tier using pink frosting and a #12 tip. Decorate the cake with fresh flowers as desired.