- On tracing paper, draw a half-circle 8-1/2 inches from top to center and 16-1/2 inches on straight edge (a 1/2-inch seam allowance is included in the measurement).
- Use the pattern to cut two half-circles each from fabric and fleece. Fold one fabric shape in half, matching the straight edges. Using a 1/2-inch seam allowance, stitch along the straight edge, starting at the bottom (tip) and sewing to within 1-1/2 inches of the curved edge. Clip into the seam at the tip; then press the seam open. Using a scant 1/2-inch seam allowance, baste the fleece to the wrong side of the remaining fabric shape. Assemble as directed for the first shape. Trim the fleece close to the basting line.
- 3.Slip one cone inside the other with the right sides facing and matching the seam lines. Sew the curved edge, leaving an opening for turning. Clip the curve. Turn the shape right side out and press.
- Apply fabric glue to the back of the braid following the manufacturer's directions. Press the braid to the fabric 1/2 inch from the curved edge, slipping the ends into the opening in the back seam.
- Slip-stitch the openings closed. Lay the cone flat, with the seam line in the center back.
- Cut two 32-inch lengths of each ribbon. Holding a light and dark color together, pin two ribbons together 5 inches from each end. Repeat for the remaining two ribbons. Place the pins of one ribbon 1-1/2 inches from each side of the cone; fold and pin in place. Turn the cone over; repeat on the opposite side.
- Cut two 14-inch lengths each from light and dark ribbon. Holding a light and dark color together, fold the ribbons in half. Hand-gather across the ribbons 3/4 inch from the fold. Pull the gathers tightly; then tack the gathers to the tip of the cone.
- Stamp letters vertically on lavender card stock. The examples in the photo are the French words DOUX ("sweet"), AMOUR ("love"), and HONNEUR ("honor"). Cut out in 3/4-inch strips, leaving an extra inch of plain paper at the top and bottom. Trim the ends with decorative-edge scissors. Punch a hole in the top of each strip.
- Secure a threaded needle inside the cone behind a pinned ribbon set. Take the needle to the right side of the cone through the ribbons to secure. Add the stamped strip(s) and a button. Return the needle, taking it through the stamped strip(s) and through the fabric to the inside of the cone.
- Thread the needle through the opposite side of the cone and add a button. Return the needle through the fabric to the inside of the cone. Repeat the threading sequence, knotting the thread on the inside. Always pull the threads taut. Repeat for the opposite side, omitting the stamped strips. Trim the ribbon ends.
More: All About Flower Girls