How to Fold Ingredients Together
Learn our method for combining light and heavy ingredients together into one mixture.
There are many times when a light substance, such as stiff egg whites or whipped cream, is to be folded into a heavier mixture. The goal is to retain as much volume in the final mixture as possible. To do that, work in stages and use the proper folding technique. Stir about one-third of the lighter substance into the heavier batter to lighten the denser mixture. Now you're ready to fold. Using a large rubber spatula, cut down vertically through the batter, moving across the bottom of the bowl and then carry some of the mixture from the bottom up over the surface. Continue to fold in the remaining light substance, rotating the bowl one-fourth of a turn each time you complete the process. Make sure the lighter substance is just incorporated, then continue to follow your recipe.
More For You
- Easy Holiday Decorating Ideas
- Delightful Christmas Cookie Gifts
- Nature Crafts for Your Winter Table - Better Homes & Gardens - BHG.com
- Small Bathroom Solutions#page=3
- Better Homes and Gardens December 2012 Recipes
- Pretty Christmas Living Rooms
- 10 Healthy Recipes on a Dime
- Christmas Cookie Ideas from Better Homes and Gardens
- Tips to Lower Cholesterol