How to Carve a Turkey
You can carve a holiday-worthy turkey with these five easy steps.
Carving a Turkey Step by Step
- Start by placing your turkey on a large cutting board, preferably with a trough-like groove around the perimeter to catch the juices (which can be drizzled over the carved turkey on the serving platter).
- Remove the leg portions by pulling the drumsticks away from the body and cutting the joints between the thighs and body.
- Carve each entire breast half away from the breast bone and rib cage. Place the whole breast halves on the cutting board.
- Slice the breast halves crosswise (across the grain of the meat). If desired, cut wings off the turkey frame, cutting at the joints.
- Hold the leg portions on the cutting board with a large fork; cut through the joints to separate the thighs and drumsticks. Cut the meat slices away from the bones.