The perfect time to start your gravy is before you begin carving while you're waiting for your turkey to rest. Your finished bird should sit outside of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, so you'll have plenty of time to complete these five easy steps.
- After moving the turkey to a cutting board, pour the pan drippings into a large glass measuring cup. Then, scrape the browned turkey bits from the pan into the cup.
- Skim and reserve the fat from the drippings. Pour 1/4 cup of the fat into a 2-quart saucepan, discarding any remaining fat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour. Add enough reduced-sodium chicken broth to remaining drippings in the measuring cup to equal 2 cups.
- Add the broth mixture to the flour mixture in the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Then, cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Strain the gravy into a serving dish. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.