What Size to Buy
When choosing the size of turkey for your Thanksgiving gathering:
- Allow 1 pound per adult for turkeys under 12 pounds
- Allow 3/4 pound per adult for turkeys over 12 pounds
- For boneless turkey breasts, allow 1/2 pound per adult
- If you want leftovers, buy a turkey 2-4 pounds larger than you need
Honey Roast Turkey
Add big flavor to the starring dish on your Thanksgiving table with silky-sweet honey and abundant fresh herbs. Serve your delicious turkey with tangy-sweet Apple Cider Sauce instead of traditional gravy for an updated twist.
How to Carve a Turkey
Watch our technique for carving a turkey.
Timing Guidelines for Stuffed Turkeys
We recommend roasting turkeys in a 325-degree-F oven using these timing guidelines:
- For an 8- to 12-pound turkey, roast 3 to 3-3/4 hours
- For a 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast 3-1/4 to 4-1/2 hours
- For a 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast 4 to 5 hours
- For an 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast 4-1/2 to 5-1/4 hours
- For a 20- to 24-pound turkey, roast 4-3/4 to 5-3/4 hours
Note: For unstuffed turkeys of the same weight, reduce total cooking time by 15 to 45 minutes.
Apple Brandy and Sage Glazed Turkey
A simple and sweet herbed glaze adds delicious fruit and brandy flavors to your Thanksgiving turkey. Use an apple variety such as Jonathan or Granny Smith for unbeatable tangy-sweet flavor.
Roast Turkey with Sweet Onion Jam
A sensational jam of tart apple, sweet onion, and roasted garlic contributes amazing flavor to a traditional roast turkey. Brushing on the jam during roasting forms a delicious crust, adding great texture contrast to the juicy turkey.
How to Cook a Turkey with Herbs
Give your turkey big flavor using herbs. We'll show you how to do it.
Stuffings require three elements:
- Starch -- bread, rice, or potatoes
- Liquid -- broth, wine, or liquor
- Additions -- herbs, fruits, meats, seafood, and/or veggies
Create your own:
- Each pound of uncooked turkey requires 3/4 cup stuffing
- For every 1 cup starch, add about 2 tablespoons liquid
- Always mix stuffing just before stuffing and roasting the bird -- do not stuff in advance
How to Make Bread Cubes for Stuffing
Watch how easy it is to make homemade bread cubes to use for stuffings.
Chorizo Corn Bread Stuffing
Festive cranberries make a welcome appearance in this Southern-inspired stuffing recipe. Cook each serving in its own casserole dish for a special, holiday-worthy presentation.
Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough Stuffing
With the flavors of the classic New Orleans dish, this stuffing is rich and decadent -- with a healthy dose of spinach for good measure.
Challah Stuffing with Fennel and Dried Fruit
Buttery challah, fresh fennel, sweet dried fruit, and crunchy walnuts are perfectly balanced in this festive stuffing reminiscent of bread pudding.
Just For You