Even experienced cooks become nervous when it's time to prepare the Thanksgiving turkey. Let us help relieve the pressure with our delectable recipes and information on how to cook a turkey to make Thanksgiving dinner a success.
Everything In This Slideshow
1 of 13
What Size to Buy
- Allow 1 pound per adult for turkeys under 12 pounds
- Allow 3/4 pound per adult for turkeys over 12 pounds
- For boneless turkey breasts, allow 1/2 pound per adult
- If you want leftovers, buy a turkey 2-4 pounds larger than you need
2 of 13
How to Carve a Turkey
Watch our technique for carving a turkey.
4 of 13
Timing Guidelines for Stuffed Turkeys
We recommend roasting turkeys in a 325-degree-F oven using these timing guidelines:
- For an 8- to 12-pound turkey, roast 3 to 3-3/4 hours
- For a 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast 3-1/4 to 4-1/2 hours
- For a 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast 4 to 5 hours
- For an 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast 4-1/2 to 5-1/4 hours
- For a 20- to 24-pound turkey, roast 4-3/4 to 5-3/4 hours
Note: For unstuffed turkeys of the same weight, reduce total cooking time by 15 to 45 minutes.
5 of 13
6 of 13
A sensational jam of tart apple, sweet onion, and roasted garlic contributes amazing flavor to a traditional roast turkey. Brushing on the jam during roasting forms a delicious crust, adding great texture contrast to the juicy turkey.
- Start to Finish:
- 3 hrs 30 mins
How to Cook a Turkey with Herbs
Give your turkey big flavor using herbs. We'll show you how to do it.
8 of 13
Stuffings require three elements:
- Starch -- bread, rice, or potatoes
- Liquid -- broth, wine, or liquor
- Additions -- herbs, fruits, meats, seafood, and/or veggies
Create your own:
- Each pound of uncooked turkey requires 3/4 cup stuffing
- For every 1 cup starch, add about 2 tablespoons liquid
- Always mix stuffing just before stuffing and roasting the bird -- do not stuff in advance
How to Make Bread Cubes for Stuffing
Watch how easy it is to make homemade bread cubes to use for stuffings.
10 of 13
11 of 13
12 of 13
Next Slideshow Great Green Bean Recipes
Great Green Bean RecipesWhether you're scooping up a side of green bean casserole or munching on a crisp green bean salad, green beans add classic flavor, color, and nutrients to your meal. Change up your usual green bean routine with some of our fresh green bean recipes -- you won't be disappointed!Begin Slideshow »