Ribbon Pinecone Wreath for Thanksgiving & Christmas
Rustic meets elegant with the pairing of natural pinecones and colorful satin ribbon. This long-lasting wreath transitions easily from Thanksgiving to Christmas with a simple change in ribbon color.
What You'll Need
- 20-inch-diameter wreath
- Ten 6-inch-long pinecones
- Florist's wire
- Wire cutters
- Two varieties of medium-size pinecones
- Bronze glitter
- Small pinecones
- Spray adhesive
- 3-3/4-inch-wide, double-side, satin ribbon in brown, amber, and gold
- 5/8-inch-wide ribbon
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Bronze metallic stems
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Evenly space nine of the 6-inch-long pinecones around the wreath (with the tops of the pinecones pointing toward the center). Wire the pinecones to the wreath.
- Place three or four medium pinecones of the same variety between the large pinecones, alternating the variety of pinecones as you work around the wreath. Wire the pinecones in place.
- Pour the glitter into a small bag. Spray several small pinecones at a time with adhesive. Immediately place the sprayed pinecones in the bag; gently shake to adhere glitter. Remove from bag, shaking off the excess glitter.
- Hot-glue the glittered pinecones around the edges of the wreath and in between the previously attached pinecones, filling in any open spaces.
- Cut a piece of brown ribbon to desired length and notch each ribbon end. Fold the ribbon in half with one end slightly longer than the other half. Tightly wrap florist's wire around the ribbon 1-inch from the fold; do not cut the wire.
- Fold a 24-inch length of the bronze 3-3/4-inch-wide ribbon into a bow shape, overlapping the ends at the center back. Position the center of the bow over the wired area of the folded ribbon; wire in place. Wire the top of the remaining 6-inch long pinecone to the ribbons; trim the wire.
- Make a bow with a length of 5/8-inch-wide ribbon, leaving tails. Hot-glue the bow to the top of the pinecone. Create a flowerlike shape with the bronze metallic stems and hot-glue to the bow at the top of the pinecone.
- Use metallic stems to attach the pinecone detail to a second hand-tied bow made from the three colors of 3-3/4-inch ribbon.
- Attach the completed bow to the top center of the wreath with florist's wire. Drape the ribbon tails.