Nature Basket for the Harvest Season
Bring together the nature's best to make an autumnal basket that will last all season -- Halloween to Thanksgiving.
continue reading below
How to Make It:
- Gather branches for the handle and sides. Choose one sturdy branch with at least a 1/2 inch diameter for the main handle. Gather thin green or pliable twigs for the sides. They may be any color but shouldn't be dry enough to break or crack when bent. Remove all leaves. Cut to desired length for handle, allowing an extra 3-4 inches.
- In a well-ventilated area, paint all sides of the log generously with a coat of varnish. Let dry.
- Drill a hole on each side of the top of the log at least 1-1/2 inches deep. The hole should be just big enough to insert the branch ends and hold firmly (too large a hole will not hold the handle in place).
- Put a dab of wood glue in each hole. Firmly press handle end into one hole; let dry. Bend branches and firmly glue handle into second hole. Let glue dry.
- Place twigs around each base of the handle; tape in place. (The tape will help hold the twigs in place temporarily while you are wrapping it with raffia.)
- Wrap and tie raffia around handle and branches to cover tape (see photo).
- For the woven sides: Drill eight holes, evenly spaced, around the top edge of the log using a drill bit.
- Trim four twigs to use as arches. Place dabs of glue in each hole, then insert one twig end in a hole. Insert other end in an adjacent hole. Repeat with three more twigs to make four arches around the top of the log.
- Trim twigs, then weave in and out of arches and handles to form the sides of the basket. Fill the basket with autumnal finds.