Colorful Bird for Kids to Craft for Thanksgiving
Kids will have fun making these colorful birds, which can be displayed on your Thanksgiving table for the big meal.
What You'll Need
- Small real or artificial leaves for feathers
- Acrylic paints: green, orange, yellow, purple, red
- Small sponge
- Plastic-foam shapes: one 2-7/8 x 3-3/16-inch egg (for the body) and one 2-inch-diameter ball (for the head)
- Two small forked branches
- Acorn caps
- Two toothpicks
- Sculpey clay: yellow
- Plastic disposable knife
- Crafts glue
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Lay leaves on top. Paint leaves with polka dots, stripes, and other designs. Or use the sponge to dab the leaves with paint.
- Paint the foam egg purple, the foam ball green, and the branches yellow; let dry. Add stripes to the branches. Paint the acorn caps red on the outside and yellow on the inside with a purple dot for the iris; let dry.
- Insert one toothpick into foam ball (head shape) until only 1/4 inch of it shows. Shape yellow clay into a cone beak; insert into foam ball on toothpick.
- Push the other toothpick halfway into the wide end of the egg. Push foam-ball head onto toothpick.
- Use knife to make slits in the body for leaf "feathers." Pinch the bottom of each leaf into a V shape. Dab glue onto the V shapes; push into slits.
- Dab tops of stick legs with glue; push into the bottom of the foam-egg body. Dab glue onto the acorn caps and push into the sides of the foam-ball head.