After you've added the cross-stitch design, fill the basket with fresh flowers for a fitting holiday centerpiece.
- 3-1/2-inch-wide 28-count cream linen prefinished fabric band. (To determine length of cross-stitch band to purchase, measure around outside of basket and add 4 inches for finishing. One repeat of stitched design is 2-7/8 x 7-3/8 inches on 28-count fabric.)
- DMC floss in colors listed on color key (see Step 1)
- 1 skein of overdyed floss
- Tapestry needle
- Masking tape or sewing thread
- Purchased basket
1. Download the free stitch charts and color key. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Prepare the fabric. Overcast the raw edges of the fabric band with sewing thread or bind with masking tape to prevent the threads from raveling. Locate the center of the chart by following the arrows on the grid until they meet. To find the center of the fabric, fold it in half each way and finger-crease. Unfold.
3. Separate floss. Separate the six-strand embroidery floss, and use two strands to work cross stitches over two threads of fabric.
4. Cross-stitch the design. Begin stitching the center of design where the creases meet.
5. Add backstitching. When all cross stitches are complete, use one strand of red floss to backstitch the mouths. Use one strand of Dark Delft floss to backstitch the Pilgrims' eyes and the decoration on the Native American girl's dress. Use one strand of Light Topaz to backstitch buckles on the Pilgrim boy's hat and shoes. Use one strand of Black for all remaining backstitching (see photo).
6. Add border. Use two strands of overdyed floss to work two rows of mosaic stitch along the top and bottom edges of fabric band, referring to the stitch diagram.
7. Press. Turn completed stitchery facedown on a heavy towel and press, using a damp cloth and warm iron.
8. Wrap fabric band around basket. Fold under short ends and slip-stitch together.
Continued on page 2: Place Cards