Give biscuits a festive flavor.
- 1 cup mashed, cooked sweet potato* (see Note below)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
1. Combine mashed sweet potato, sugar, and egg. Beat with a fork until smooth. Stir in milk. Set mixture aside.
2. Stir together flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture. Add sweet-potato mixture and stir just until combined.
3. Turn out onto a well-floured surface. Knead gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Reroll as necessary. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on large baking sheets.
4. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned. Makes 18 to 20 biscuits.
*Note: To make 1 cup mashed potatoes, peel 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total). Cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks. Place in a large amount of boiling water. Simmer about 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer.
Nutrition facts per biscuit: 165 cal., 6 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 13 mg chol., 297 mg sodium, 23 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily values: 32% vit. A, 5% vit. C, 9% calcium, 6% iron.