Don't wait until Valentine's Day to share these heartwarming chocolate cookies. Be sure to have an adult help you make them.
1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Grease the waxed paper with the 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine. Set aside.
2. Put the chocolate pieces, corn syrup, and the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a heavy medium saucepan. Put pan on burner. Turn burner to low heat. Cook until chocolate and butter are melted, stirring all the time with the wooden spoon. Turn off burner. Remove pan from burner. Or, put chocolate pieces, corn syrup, and butter or margarine in a 1-1/2-quart microwave-safe casserole. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until chocolate and butter are melted, stirring once.
3. Add the rice cereal to the melted chocolate mixture. Stir with the wooden spoon until the cereal is evenly coated with chocolate.
4. Turn the chocolate-coated cereal out onto the prepared cookie sheet. Pat it into a 12x6-inch rectangle. Chill about 20 minutes or until slightly firm.
5. Cut cereal mixture into heart shapes with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Decorate with frosting, if you like. Chill until firm; wrap each heart in plastic wrap. Chill until serving time. Makes 8 or 9 three-inch hearts.
Nutrition facts per serving (without frosting): 193 calories, 9 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 2 g protein.